CONTENT WARNING: This episode contains content that may be distressing for some listeners. The episode deals with the online sexual exploitation of children and is confronting and often disturbing. If you need to talk to someone, support is available:
1800RESPECT: In Australia, you can contact the National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service on 1800 737 732.
Lifeline: Call 13 11 14 anytime for confidential telephone crisis support.
This episode of Undeceptions was a difficult one for us to make. But we believe it’s an important one. It’s a myth that there’s no such thing as slavery in modern times. And just as Christians were at the forefront of anti-slavery work way back in the 5th century, and again in the 19th century, we’ll be speaking to today’s heroes, continuing that tradition, fighting for the absolute end of slavery in their lifetime.
We’ve worked with International Justice Mission – the largest anti-slavery organisation in the world – to bring you the story of Cassie in the Philippines. Cassie was rescued from a neighbour who had lured her into a world of online sexual exploitation. We speak with some of those who worked to see her released from slavery, and who continue to work to rescue countless other victims both in the Philippines and other parts of south east Asia, the epicentre of this heinous crime.
Thanks to our season sponsor – Selah – for all your travel needs, whether you’re a doubter or a believer. Find out more at myselah.com.au.
Links related to this episode:
- International Justice Mission works with law enforcement, including the Australian Federal Police, to tackle the online sexual exploitation of children. Read more about the AFP’s involvement in the Philippines here and the first Philippine Internet Crimes Against Children Centre – a collective law enforcement effort to combat child exploitation.
- And read this article from Reuters on the new taskforce and its impact so far.
- Read more about Shechem House, the first IJM assessment centre for children rescued from abuse.
- Watch this 20-minute documentary from IJM: How one survivor of sex trafficking is sparking a global movement to end slavery in our lifetime.
- Read this fact sheet from IJM on child sexual exploitation in the Philippines.
Get to know our guests
Send us a question
Oh boy, does John love questions. So don’t be afraid to send them in. In season one, we’ll be dedicating an episode or two for John to answer all your burning questions about Christianity. Want to know something more about a previous episode? Or perhaps you’ve got a question about faith that you’ve been struggling to find an answer for? Let us know here, or leave your question as a voicemail at 02 9870 5678.